Monday, February 6, 2012

Motives


We live in a world of broken dreams and promises and we don’t need to go far to find someone hurting someone else just because they didn’t get their way. A while back I was having one of those days, you know, when nothing seems to go right. I felt like people were trying to hang me with my own rope. That’s when the guy I was working with said,  “I don’t know how you do it, you’re so calm.” The response that most people are used to getting, is one of anger and frustration. If I acted that way, would it have changed anything? The answer is no. Now, I’m no saint, in fact, I think he just caught me on a good day. But the point is still the same. When we demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control  we stick out in the world. The reason for this is that human nature is to be selfish. It takes loving something more than ourselves to stop being selfish. You see, the reality is, it isn’t what we do, or how well we do it, as long as God has asked us to do it and we do it because we love Him. Regardless of how proficient we are in our careers, we need to allow the Spirit to lead us in all decisions, no matter how small. I’m not saying you have to stop everything and have a prayer meeting before every decision, but what I am saying is that we need to be in tune with God, understand what He’s told us through the Bible and listen to the Spirit as we make day to day decisions. By loving and listening to God, we will help people instead of hurt them. We will meet their needs instead of focusing on our own selfish desires. The question is: what is your motivation? Why do you do what you do? 

Geremy

No comments:

Post a Comment